Saturday, April 10, 2010

April 10, 2010--Saturday


In the month of January, 2008, I had the ultimate pleasure of living on the island of Flores, in the Azores. I was awarded a writer's residency there, and for almost the entire month I inhaled fresh Atlantic ocean air, went on long hikes, wrote, read and savored my time alone. I also met some very special people; Paula, who owned the pizza place on the pier, was one of them. Paula made the most delicious pizza as well as other enticing dishes.

During one conversation with Paula, she shared with me her joy in finding a new lover, Tony. She had recently separated from her husband, who she said never had been very intimate with her. However, Tony was different and made her feel sexy and loved. This poem is for her.

TONY TOUCHES HER
--for Paula

Even when they are
not in bed.

She tells me this
at the same time she
shares her recipe
for fresh fish soup
the ingredients build
escalate
shining in her eyes
only fresh fish
don’t worry
about the bones
eventually you will detect
the fragile slivers
their sharpness no longer a surprise
the soup is
never the same soup twice
sometimes pasta
sometimes rice
heady herbs
it is really all about
how it tastes
on the tongue
the heat against ravenous lips
it’s personal.


--Catherine Fraga

No comments:

Post a Comment