Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday, April 12, 2010


While I was living on the island of Flores, I was especially inspired to express how sobering it always is to think about the incredible beauty that surrounds us. Enjoying the island's rolling green hills and numerous waterfalls and misty twilight rain showers, I felt overwhelmed in a hundred different ways, for a hundred different reasons.

THE ENORMITY OF LANDSCAPE

Elevates a human
from all littleness of feeling
makes insignificance
feel beautiful
like a freedom:
the ocean moss-green and grey
rolls on indefinitely
without interruption
the lush hills disappearing
one behind the other
even the gulls comprehend
the vast openness of sky
and that maybe
there is no decision
to agonize over
except maybe
what gust of wind
to follow next.


--Catherine Fraga

3 comments:

  1. Dear Cathy,
    So nice to see your poetry.
    I hope life is treating you well!
    In Gratitude,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving these posts. You have talent (says the non-expert in the field).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, for some reason the post I put here a few days ago didn't go up. I just wanted to say that what I really like here is the (seeming) ease with which you cover such a wide territory here, and then at the very end, you bring it all right back into your hand with that final image!

    Shelley
    dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete